Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Quit Trying so Hard


John 15: 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”

We say we believe Scripture to be true, but we really do not believe the last part of this verse.

In American, the land of self-sufficiency and individuality, we believe we can do almost everything without Jesus.  Yet, Jesus assures us that we can do nothing that last or matters apart from Him.

North of Covington, Louisiana is a vineyard that hosts wine tastings and Jazz concerts.  One time, when my wife and I were driving around, we discovered the location  and drove onto the property.  It was beautiful...peaceful...relaxing.

Know what I noticed?  I barely heard any sound. I did not hear the branches saying, “Make a grape…make a grape”.

You see, a branch has one simple responsibility…to abide on the vine.  To draw nourishment…life…purpose from the vine. The vine will supply all the branch needs to be productive…as long as it stay hooked in.

Jesus will grow our lives into what He wants us to be when we abide.

Get aside with Him today.  Just believe and receive.

No comments: