Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Menu is Never Enough

Hard as it may be for you to believe, I like to eat. Living in Louisiana makes it easy. Slidell offers a wonderful choice of restaurants. One can get seafood, burgers, Italian, Mexican etc.

What I’ve never done is go out to eat and be satisfied looking at the menu. I let the menu guide me where I want to go as far as ordering, but the menu is never enough. Sometimes I note how attractive the menu is, the words to describe the items and even pictures. Still, I want to eat.

Occasionally, the servers describe the items you are considering and stimulate your taste buds into overdrive. Still, bring me the food!

I think our spiritual lives are like the situation I just described.

There are many locations to get spiritual food here in town. A variety of denominations, traditions, speakers, styles of worship, etc. You get to the location, and they present the menu, that is the Bible in different formats. The servers or ministers can describe the wonders in the Word and the reality of Christ in a way that stimulates your desires.

Still, you want the meal.

Don’t stop short by just reading the Bible or taking another’s word.

Get to Jesus Christ Himself.

John 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.

The Bible is to point us to Jesus and guide us into a relationship with Him. So many believers are living below their opportunity. They study the Bible in classes, accumulate big notebooks and hundreds for principles for living...but miss the One Whom is the focus of the Word. He is the Word John 1:1.

You best know Jesus based on personal relationships, not a set of principles.

Get to Jesus…only He can satisfy you.










No comments: